Choosing business software can be frustrating for many entrepreneurs, especially those in the startup phase. And the challenge of selecting the right tools can be overwhelming — considering the pressure to optimize every aspect of operations from day one.
That’s why finding the right software solution becomes crucial to streamline processes and enhance productivity. In this article, we ease that pressure by unveiling the 26 best software for entrepreneurs. So let’s dive into these tools and explore how they can take your startup to the next level.
Why Should You Invest in Software for Your Business?
Investing in software for your business offers numerous benefits, providing efficiency and precision in operations. By automating mundane tasks, the right software can free up valuable time so employees can focus on more important aspects of the business.
What’s more, customized software solutions can improve cross-team collaboration, provide insightful analytics, and enable scalable growth.
26 Best Software for Entrepreneurs
Without further ado, let’s check out the 26 best software for entrepreneurs.
Asana is a powerful task management software that excels in helping businesses and teams organize their tasks, collaborate effectively, and track progress. With its user-friendly interface and robust features, Asana stands out as an excellent solution for optimizing project management and enhancing productivity.
- Task Creation and Assignment
- Project Organization
- Collaboration Tools
- Kanban Boards and Timeline View
- Integration with Other Tools
- Easy for teams to adapt quickly and start using the software effectively.
- Helps tailor the tool to specific business needs.
- Mastering the advanced features may take time for some users.
- Has limitations on the number of users and features.
- Basic (Free)
- Premium starts at $10.99 per user per month (annual billing)
- Business priced at $24.99 per user per month (annual billing)
- Enterprise has tailored pricing for larger organizations with specialized requirements.
Slack is a leading work chat software that excels in facilitating efficient and real-time communication within teams and organizations. With its focus on enhancing collaboration and reducing communication barriers, Slack has become an essential tool for modern workplaces.
- Channels and Direct Messages
- File Sharing
- Integration with Apps
- Search Functionality
- Customizable Notifications
- Slack’s organized channels and instant messaging allow for quick and direct communication, reducing email clutter.
- The ability to integrate various apps and tools within Slack creates a centralized hub for information and updates.
- While the basics are easy to grasp, mastering advanced features might take time for some users.
- In larger teams, an abundance of channels and messages could lead to information overload and reduced focus.
- Pro: $7.25 per user per month
- Business+: $12.50 per user per month
- Enterprise Grid: Tailored pricing for larger enterprises
Canva is a premier design tool, perfect for crafting eye-catching graphics, documents, and presentations. With extensive design elements, Canva empowers users to bring their creative visions to life.
- Simple Drag-and-Drop Design
- Wide Array of Templates
- Abundant Stock Images and Icons
- Real-time Collaboration
- Seamless Export and Sharing
- User-Friendly Interface
- Diverse Templates for All Needs
- Rich Collection of Media Elements
- Facilitates Real-time Collaboration
- Limited Advanced Features
- Customization Constrained by Templates
- Free vs. Paid Element Disparity
- Free Version with Basic Features
- Canva Pro: $119.99/year for one person
- Canva for Teams: $300/year for five people
Notion stands as a dynamic software known for enhancing workspace productivity by seamlessly orchestrating organization, collaboration, and information management.
- Merge notes, tasks, databases, and more within a single platform.
- Access ready-to-use templates for various applications.
- Establish structured databases for efficient data handling.
- Foster real-time collaboration to elevate teamwork and communication.
- Seamlessly integrate external media and link with other tools.
- Consolidate multiple tasks in a single environment.
- Tailor layouts and features to fit personal preferences.
- Simplify group projects and shared information.
- Effortlessly integrate external media and interface with external apps.
- Extensive features may require time for complete mastery.
- Dependency on an internet connection for real-time updates.
- The abundance of options might overwhelm straightforward tasks.
- Free Version with Essential Features
- Plus: $8 per month
- Business: $15 per month
- Enterprise Plan: Tailored solutions with advanced security and administration options.
HubSpot is renowned for its robust Customer Relationship Management (CRM) capabilities. It centralizes all customer interactions, providing an integrated platform to nurture and enhance relationships with clients.
- Contact and lead management
- Email tracking and automation
- Integration with marketing and sales tools
- Analytical insights
- User-friendly interface
- Extensive integration options
- Scalability to suit varying business sizes
- Some features require additional training
- Premium features can be expensive
- Free basic version
- Professional plan: $450 per month
- Enterprise plan: $1,200 per month
Calendly is a scheduling tool designed to simplify the process of setting appointments and meetings. It integrates with various calendars to allow seamless coordination between different parties.
- Automated scheduling and reminders
- Time zone detection
- Integration with popular calendar apps
- Customizable meeting types and availability
- Easy to set up and use
- Enhances efficiency in scheduling appointments
- Reduces back-and-forth communication
- Limited customization in the free version
- May require some initial setup time for specific needs
- Free version with basic functionality
- Essentials: $8 per user/month
- Professional: $12 per user/month
- Teams: $16 per user/month
Airtable is a cloud-based collaboration platform that offers the flexibility of a spreadsheet with the power of a database. It’s ideal for creating next-gen apps, enabling businesses to organize data, build custom apps, and craft workflows without the need for extensive coding knowledge.
- Spreadsheet-like interface with database capabilities
- Customizable views (Grid, Calendar, Gallery, Kanban)
- Integrations with various popular apps and services
- Automation and scripting
- Highly customizable
- Supports real-time collaboration
- No coding required for basic app development
- Steeper learning curve for advanced features
- Can become expensive with additional functionalities
- Free plan with essential features and limited records
- Plus plan: $10 per user/month
- Pro plan: $20 per user/month
Tango is a software platform designed to streamline the creation and sharing of how-to guides. Perfect for businesses looking to provide clear and concise instructional content. Its intuitive interface and powerful features make it a go-to solution for training, onboarding, or educating customers.
- Easy guide creation with drag-and-drop functionality
- Multimedia support (images, videos, links)
- Collaboration tools for team input
- Analytics to gauge user engagement and effectiveness
- User-friendly, even for non-technical users
- Supports various content types for diverse guides
- Real-time updates and seamless sharing options
- Limited customization in the basic plan
- May require training for advanced features
- Starter plan: Free
- Pro: $16 per month
- Enterprise: Custom pricing based on specific needs and requirements
9. Alfred App
Alfred App is a productivity application for macOS that serves as an advanced spotlight search and workflow automation tool. For those looking to streamline their daily tasks and navigate their Mac with ease, Alfred App offers a compelling solution.
- Customizable shortcuts and hotkeys
- File and application search
- Clipboard history and snippets
- Workflow automation and integrations
- Speeds up daily tasks and navigation
- Highly customizable to fit individual preferences
- Supports user-created extensions and workflows
- Available only for macOS
- Some features may require a learning curve
- Free version with core features
- Powerpack option:
- Single User License: $40 for additional features and customization
- Mega Supporter License: $68 with free lifetime updates and priority support
(Note: These USD prices are approximate and subject to currency exchange rate fluctuations.)
10. Google Drive
Google Drive is a cloud-based file storage solution that allows users to store, share, and collaborate on files and folders from any mobile device, tablet, or computer. It’s integrated with other Google Workspace apps, making it an ideal option for businesses and individuals alike who need secure and convenient file storage and accessibility.
- Real-time collaboration on documents, spreadsheets, and presentations
- Offline access to files
- Integration with other Google Workspace apps like Docs, Sheets, and Slides
- File sharing with controlled permissions
- Easily accessible from various devices
- Robust sharing and collaboration tools
- Integration with popular Google services
- Generous free storage space
- Might be less intuitive for non-Google Workspace users
- Limited customization in file organization
- Personal: no cost with 15 GB of storage
- Business Standard: $12 per month
Superhuman is an email client designed to enhance productivity and redefine the email experience. With a focus on speed and efficiency, Superhuman provides users with tools to manage their inboxes more effectively. Its sleek design and robust feature set make it an excellent option for professionals seeking a high-powered email solution.
- Lightning-fast search and navigation
- AI-driven triage to help prioritize emails
- Keyboard shortcuts and customizable hotkeys
- Read statuses to track when emails are opened
- Integration with popular apps and services like CRM tools
- Highly responsive and user-friendly interface
- Intelligent features to manage and sort emails
- Collaboration tools for team communication
- Customizable according to user preferences
- Requires an invitation to join
- May take time to learn and adapt to the workflow
- Pricier than many other email clients
- Subscription-based model at $30 per month
OpenPhone is a cloud-based phone system designed specifically for modern businesses and startups. Ideal for remote teams or businesses looking to modernize their communication. OpenPhone replaces traditional landlines with a flexible, app-based approach.
- Dedicated business phone numbers
- Multi-user support for team collaboration
- Text messaging, voicemail, and call recording
- Integration with popular CRM and productivity tools
- Mobile and desktop apps
- Easy to set up and use
- Flexibility in managing calls and messages from any device
- Scalable for businesses of all sizes
- Modern interface that enhances user experience
- May require internet connectivity for optimal performance
- Limited advanced features compared to traditional PBX systems
- Standard: $13 per user per month, includes unlimited calls and texts in the US and Canada
- Premium: $20 per user per month, includes additional integrations, analytics, and priority support
- Enterprise: Custom pricing, tailored solutions for large businesses and specific needs
Shopify is a leading e-commerce platform that enables businesses of all sizes to create and manage online stores. With a wide range of customizable templates and integrated tools, Shopify offers a comprehensive solution for selling products and services online.
- User-friendly website builder with customizable themes
- Integrated payment processing, including support for various payment gateways
- Inventory and order management
- Marketing and SEO tools
- Mobile app for managing the store on the go
- Analytics and reporting
- Easy to use, even for those without technical expertise
- Scalable to grow with your business
- Rich app store for additional functionalities
- Strong support and community resources
- Transaction fees for using external payment gateways
- Some customization may require coding knowledge
- Costs can add up with additional apps and premium themes
- Basic: $39 per month, includes all essential features for starting an online store
- Advanced: $399 per month, includes advanced report building and third-party shipping rates
- Plus: $2,000 per month with enterprise-level solutions for high-volume merchants
Cloudflare is a global cloud service provider known for its content delivery network (CDN), security, and Domain Name System (DNS) services. While not specifically focused on website domain management, its comprehensive suite of tools enhances website performance, security, and reliability.
- CDN for fast content delivery
- DDoS protection and web application firewall
- DNS services with low-latency resolution
- SSL/TLS encryption
- Analytics and insights on web traffic
- Bot and threat protection
- Improved website loading speed and performance
- Robust security against common web threats
- Easy integration and setup
- A global network of servers for consistent performance worldwide
- Some advanced features may require technical expertise
- The free plan might be limited for larger or high-traffic sites
- May conflict with other plugins or services if not configured properly
- Cloudflare has a variety of services, such as Application Services, Developer Platforms, and Network services, that all have different price points.
View plans in more detail here.
Zapier is an online automation tool that connects various apps and services to create automated workflows. It allows businesses to connect different web applications and create “Zaps,” or automated sequences, to transfer information between these apps without manual intervention.
- Connects over 3,000 apps, including popular tools like Google Sheets, Slack, Mailchimp, and more
- Easy drag-and-drop interface to create Zaps
- Pre-made templates for common workflows
- Conditional logic to create customized automation paths
- Real-time updates and monitoring
- Saves time and reduces manual data entry
- No coding required for basic automation
- Scalable for businesses of all sizes
- Constantly growing list of integrations
- Complex automation might require some technical knowledge
- Limits on the number of tasks and Zaps in lower-tier plans
- Some desired integrations might not be available
- Starter Plan: $19 per month
- Professional Plan: $49 per month
- Team Plan: $69 per month
- Company Plan: $99 per month
Pave is a compensation management platform designed to help companies plan, model, and communicate their compensation strategies. It’s built to simplify the complex process of managing employee salaries, bonuses, equity, and benefits, making it easier for HR and finance teams to align compensation with company goals and market trends.
- Compensation benchmarking against industry standards
- Real-time modeling and scenario planning
- Integration with HRIS and payroll systems
- Employee compensation communication tools
- Analytics and reporting on compensation trends
- Streamlines the compensation planning process
- Enhances transparency in compensation strategies
- Facilitates collaboration between HR, finance, and executives
- Customizable to fit company-specific needs
- May require some initial setup and alignment with existing systems
- Pricing might be steep for smaller companies
- Some features might be over-complex for businesses with simple compensation structures
- Pave’s pricing is customized based on the company’s size, needs, and specific features required. Prospective users will need to contact Pave’s sales team for an individualized quote.
Gusto is a payroll platform designed to simplify the payroll process for small to medium-sized businesses. It not only handles payroll processing but also includes features for benefits administration, HR management, and compliance.
- Automated payroll processing with tax calculations and filings
- Integration with accounting software like QuickBooks, Xero
- Employee self-service portal for paystubs and tax forms
- Health benefits administration
- HR tool, including onboarding, time tracking, and PTO management
- Easy to set up and use, even for those without payroll experience
- Comprehensive features for both payroll and HR
- Regular updates to ensure compliance with tax laws
- Excellent customer support and resources
- May be costly for very small businesses
- Limited customization in certain areas
- Some reports might lack depth compared to specialized HR systems
- Simple: $40/month + $6/month per person
- Plus: $80/month + $12/month per person
- Premium: Exclusive pricing
Stripe builds economic infrastructure for the Internet, allowing businesses of all sizes to accept payments and manage their businesses online. Its software platform is widely regarded as one of the best solutions for processing online payments, providing robust, secure, and flexible options to handle transactions.
- Accepts all major credit and debit cards, along with digital wallets
- Support for subscription billing and invoicing
- Fraud prevention with machine learning
- Integration with e-commerce platforms and custom development options
- Multi-currency support
- Highly customizable and can be tailored to unique business needs
- Comprehensive documentation and developer support
- Strong emphasis on security and compliance
- Real-time reporting and analytics
- Some complexity can make setup and customization challenging for non-developers
- Transaction fees may add up for small businesses
- Customer support might be less accessible for those on standard plans
- Standard: 2.9% + 30¢ per successful card charge
- Customized pricing available for businesses with large payment volumes or unique business models
FreshBooks is an accounting software designed specifically for small businesses and freelancers. With a focus on simplicity and ease of use, it offers features that facilitate invoice creation, expense tracking, time management, and financial reporting.
- Customizable invoice creation with online payment options
- Expense tracking with receipt scanning
- Time tracking and billable hours management
- Financial reports like Profit & Loss, Sales Tax Summary, and Client Report
- Integration with other business tools like Stripe, PayPal, G Suite
- User-friendly interface suitable for non-accountants
- Automation of recurring invoices and payment reminders
- Collaboration features for teams
- Excellent customer support
- Limited functionality for complex accounting needs
- Some features are only available in higher-tier plans
- Customization can be somewhat restricted compared to specialized accounting software
- Lite Plan: $13.60/month for up to five clients
- Plus Plan: $24/month for up to 50 clients, adds features like proposals and recurring expenses
- Premium Plan: $44/month for up to 500 clients, with additional team members
- Custom pricing for businesses with unique needs or more clients
Rippling is designed to unify HR and IT operations, making it easier for businesses to manage employee data, payroll, benefits, devices, and apps all in one place. By automating various administrative tasks, Rippling allows businesses to save time and minimize errors in their HR and IT processes.
- Onboarding, benefits administration, time tracking, payroll, compliance
- Device management, app provisioning, security controls
- Seamless integration with popular business apps and tools
- Allows employees to access and manage their information
- Adapt to specific business needs
- Comprehensive solution for both HR and IT management
- High degree of automation saves time and reduces errors
- Easy to use and intuitive interface
- Strong customer support and community resources
- Some users may find the range of features overwhelming
- Customization might require a learning curve
- Some complaints about integration with specific third-party tools
- Rippling starts at $8 a month per user. For other inquiries about other services, Rippling requests an outreach for a custom quote.
Intercom is a customer communication platform that provides businesses the ability to engage and support customers in real time through various channels. It enables personalized customer experiences and streamlines support processes, making it an invaluable tool for improving customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Engage customers through real-time conversations
- Provide instant answers and direct queries efficiently
- Targeted and personalized communications
- Self-service options for customers
- Seamless workflow with existing systems
- Track and analyze customer interactions
- Offers a unified interface for all customer interactions
- Allows highly personalized communication
- Scalable and can adapt to businesses of different sizes
- Strong community and third-party integrations
- Can become expensive as a business grows
- May require a learning curve for new users
- Some users report occasional glitches and interface issues
- Starter: $74 per month, including two seats
- For pro and premium plans, you can request a custom quote.
Deel is a global hiring platform that simplifies the process of recruiting and employing remote talent. It takes care of legal compliance, contracts, payments, and more, ensuring a smooth onboarding process for both companies and their international hires. It’s particularly suitable for businesses looking to expand globally without the complexities of international employment laws and financial logistics.
- Customizable and legally compliant contracts for over 150 countries
- Simplifies payments in multiple currencies
- Overview of team members, roles, payment schedules
- Efficient handling of tax-related documentation
- Seamless workflow with existing systems
- Simplifies international hiring and compliance
- Streamlines the payment process with multiple currency options
- Excellent customer support and guidance
- Flexible and user-friendly interface
- Can be costly for small businesses or individual hires
- Some reports of delays in payment processing
- Limited customization in some areas
- Deel HR: Free
- Contractors: $49 per month
- EOR: $599 per month
Doola is a software platform designed to assist with business formation and compliance. Aimed at entrepreneurs, startups, and established businesses, it provides a comprehensive toolkit to ensure legal adherence and simplify the complex processes of starting and maintaining a business. It minimizes legal hassles and offers valuable insights into the regulatory landscape, allowing businesses to focus on growth.
- Business Formation Assistance: Guides through legal entity selection, registration, etc.
- Compliance Monitoring: Ongoing monitoring of compliance requirements
- Document Automation: Generation and management of legal documents
- Corporate Governance Support: Board resolutions, meetings, and records management
- Integration with Legal Services: Access to legal experts if needed
- Streamlines business formation and ongoing compliance
- Offers a library of customizable legal templates
- User-friendly interface with intuitive navigation
- Knowledgeable support team
- Subscription costs can be high for small businesses
- Starter Plan: $297 annual subscription. Company formation, domain name, US bank setup assistance, and regular compliance reminders.
- Premium: $897 annual subscription. Annual compliance filing, doola Books, and doola Invoicing.
- Total Compliance: $1,999 annual subscription. IRS Tax Filings and expedited processing.
Brex is a fintech company that offers business banking solutions designed specifically for startups and growing companies. With a focus on flexibility and innovation, Brex provides an array of financial products, including business credit cards, cash management accounts, and expense management tools.
- A credit card tailored for businesses, with high limits and no personal guarantee required
- An interest-earning account with no minimum balance requirements
- Tools for tracking and categorizing expenses
- Easy payment and money transfer options
- Seamlessly connect with popular accounting tools
- Provides a comprehensive suite of banking services
- Quick application process with minimal paperwork
- Real-time insights into spending and financial trends
- Strong security measures to protect financial information
- Limited physical branch presence
- May not suit businesses that require complex banking products
- Customer support may vary in responsiveness
- Begin by opening an account or contacting a sales rep here.
Pulley is a software designed to manage cap tables for startups and private companies. Cap tables, or capitalization tables, detail a company’s percentages of ownership, equity dilution, and value of equity in various rounds of investment. Pulley aims to simplify this process by providing a clear, accessible platform where companies can keep track of these complex financial details.
- Real-time Cap Table Updates: Automatically updates after every transaction
- Equity Plan Management: Administer stock options, restricted stock units, etc.
- Scenario Modeling: Forecast future rounds of funding and ownership dilution
- Investor Reporting: Create custom reports for investors and stakeholders
- Integration with Legal and Financial Tools: Connects with common business software
- Simplifies complex cap table management tasks
- Allows for easy collaboration between founders, investors, and lawyers
- Accurate, real-time updates to prevent errors and discrepancies
- Accessible user interface that can be utilized without financial expertise
- May not cater to very large or publicly traded companies
- Limited customization for highly unique business structures
- Subscription cost might be a barrier for very early-stage startups
- Seed: Free, with basic cap table management features
- Startup: Starting at $1,200 per year, with 25 stakeholders included
- Growth: $3,500 per year, with 40 stakeholders included
AngelList is designed to connect startups with angel investors, venture capitalists, and other funding sources. Entrepreneurs can create a profile, share their business ideas, and access a network of investors looking to support promising startups. The platform has facilitated numerous successful investment matches and offers additional services tailored to the startup ecosystem.
- Find and connect with interested investors
- Raise capital through collective investment pools
- Post and search for startup-related job opportunities
- Create detailed profiles to attract investment
- Tools for tracking interest and engagement from potential investors
- Access to a broad network of potential investors
- Streamlined process for showcasing the business to multiple investors at once
- Opportunities for additional exposure through job listings and community engagement
- Transparent process with support from the AngelList team
- Competition with other startups may make standing out difficult
- Fees associated with successful fundraising
- May not be suitable for all types of businesses or funding needs
- Base: $50 per month. Free for startups that have raised less than $1 million.
- Startup: $130 per month with 20 team members included.
- Growth: $300 per month with 30 team members included.
Maximizing Your Business Potential with the Right Software
Believe it or not, this is just the tip of the iceberg. There are countless other software that add tons of value to your business. And in this digital age, these tools are becoming extremely necessary for the longevity of any business.
But how do you find the time to research every single software to ensure they’re a good match for your business? Fortunately, you can reach out to doola for help. At doola, we strive to amplify businesses by ensuring their structure has a solid foundation.
Set off on the right foot with your legal compliance and business formation, and start your business structure in under 10 minutes today!
How can you ensure data security and backups using software?
Many software platforms offer automated backup features, and users can also implement third-party backup solutions compatible with the software for additional peace of mind.
Which software is recommended for project management and collaboration?
For project management and collaboration, tools like Asana, Trello, and Microsoft Teams are highly recommended. They offer features like task tracking, real-time collaboration, file sharing, and integration with other business tools.
How can customer relationship management (CRM) software benefit entrepreneurs?
CRM software allows entrepreneurs to track and manage customer interactions, sales leads, and marketing efforts.
What software should you use for email marketing and automation?
Platforms like Mailchimp, HubSpot, and ActiveCampaign are popular choices. They provide robust tools for designing email campaigns, segmenting audiences, tracking engagement, and automating follow-up emails.
Are there any software programs that can enhance your team’s productivity?
Yes, several software programs are designed to enhance team productivity. Tools like Slack for communication, Notion for workspace organization, and productivity apps like Alfred App enable smoother workflows.