SSN, EIN, or ITIN? How Are They Different? What Do You Need? - doola: Form your LLC, DAO LLC, or C Corp from anywhere

Let’s clear the air once and for all: What is the difference between an EIN, SSN and ITIN?

Read on to find out!

What is an EIN?

EIN stands for Employer Identification Number.

The IRS issues an EIN to a business for tax reporting requirements and you also need an EIN to open a US business bank account once you have opened an LLC.

Check out our blog post here on how to get an EIN!

What is an SSN?

SSN stands for Social Security Number.

The US SSA (Social Security Administration) issues an SSN in order to identify a US Citizen, Permanent Resident, or Temporary Nonimmigrant Worker

What is an ITIN?

ITIN stands for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.

The IRS issues an ITIN to people who have a US tax filing (or informational reporting requirement) and are not eligible for an SSN.

Check out our blog post here on how to get an ITIN!

Arjun Mahadevan
Arjun Mahadevan
Founder & CEO
Doola's website is for general information purposes only and doesn't provide official law or tax advice. For tax or legal advice we are happy to connect you to a professional in our network! Please see our terms and privacy policy. Thank you and please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions.
LLC 101
Popular Posts

Get started with doola and launch your US business

Turn your dream idea into your dream US business, today.